gogochocobo

Go Go Chocobo!

GR refugee. Closet bookworm.

Eleanor & Park
Allegiant
Veronica Roth
Angelfall
Susan Ee
The Betrayal of Maggie Blair - Elizabeth Laird In this book, we’re introduced to Maggie Blair who is orphaned and lives with her Grandmother in 17th Century rural Scotland. The book is peppered with references to Laird’s own ancestry and landmarks, and has some pretty solid writing. A shame to say what a disappointment the book was. I was completely bombarded with scripture and bible verses and it seemed that the main focus of the story was God and Religion which makes sense, as Maggie is wrongfully accused of being a witch. I think that Laird just took the concept and ran with it. Overall, I found the historical setting fairly authentic, with allowances given to help make it accessible. I felt empathy for Maggie, yet there was a distance throughout my reading, I never felt totally immersed and didn’t really feel that connection with the main character as I normally do when I read a book.

The main problem that I had with Maggie was that she was so superstitious and ignorant, so she fell short.

I give this book a 3/5 because the writing, and character development was done really well.