gogochocobo

Go Go Chocobo!

GR refugee. Closet bookworm.

Eleanor & Park
Allegiant
Veronica Roth
Angelfall
Susan Ee
The Magnolia League - Katie Crouch I adore books that take place in the South, so when I read the blurb for this one, I knew I needed to read it. If Margaret Stohl & Kami Garcia’s Beautiful Creatures had a love child with Mean Girls (the film), this would be it. A fish out of water story with a dash of Southern gothic romance, witchcraft and gool ol’ fashioned Southern elitism. It was a pretty quick read, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I found Alex Lee to be a bit lacking in the character department. At times I found her to be whiney, and hypocritical. I also hated that we were constantly reminded of how plain, and chubby she was. She was so bent on being different, and really driving that point home but she sure didn’t put up much of a fight when the girls waved their magic hoodoo wand, making her just as beautiful and well-dressed as the rest of them.

Alex and Thaddeus’ relationship was a little shallow to say the least. He didn’t really seem to be too interested in her company or even really like her all that much, and the only reason Alex seemed to like Thaddeus was because he was super hot and loaded. And then, after Thaddeus asks Alex to promise never to use a love spell on him, at the first bump in their relationship Alex runs out and gets a love spell. Seriously?! Gaaaah. Come on, Alex.

Hayes and Madison were actually my favorite part of the book, and I found myself looking forward to their interactions between one another and Alex because they seemed to bring out the best in her as a character. They hated her hair and clothes in the beginning and did their best to transform her, but when push came to shove, they had Alex’s back and really seemed to care for her.

Not the deepest book in the world, but definitely fluffy and exciting. The cliffhanger had me on the edge of my seat, and I’m actually really excited for the second installment, The White Glove War.