gogochocobo

Go Go Chocobo!

GR refugee. Closet bookworm.

Eleanor & Park
Allegiant
Veronica Roth
Angelfall
Susan Ee

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)

Anathema  - Megg Jensen I truly adored this book. I stayed up until the wee hours, completely sucked in, and unaware of the time until I turned the final page. Next thing I knew, it was 3:30 in the morning! Anathema had beautiful historical imagery, old magic, political intrigue, and guess what? Megg Jensen pulled it off with finesse. The story line moved quickly, flowed seamlessly, and there was never a dull moment.

I enjoyed the character’s interactions, and found myself pondering.. well, everyone’s loyalties. No one is who they seem in Anathema. Reychel, the protagonist of Anathema was a very moving character. Her struggles were heartbreaking, but through it all she stayed strong. Even though Reychel’s life was kind of awful, she still put others before herself and was a genuinely kind person! Her surplus of human decency occasionally frustrated me (In my head, I kept screaming at her Get out!), but really boosted the story overall. I think that it was things like that this that set up the next in the trilogy, Oubliette.

The world that Megg Jensen created was very clever. It had the usual characteristics of a dystopian—a corrupt government, a resistance to said corrupt government, but with the right amount of high-fantasy, Anathema was in a league all of it’s own. I would definitely recommend this to any YA reader. It completely went above and beyond my expectations.